Sidney Crosby, or "Sid the Kid" as he's known is reported to wear the jersey number 87 because of his birth date. He was born on 8-7-1987. Whatever the reason, it was smart to pick that number from a marketing perspective. Think of the unique numbers of some of the other all-time greats: Gretzky wore 99, Lemieux 66, Lindros 88, Primeau 55, Roenick 97. All fairly unique numbers for these hockey players at the time they began wearing them in the NHL.
Crosby was taken first overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2005 NHL draft. That pick would lead the Penguins down a path of greatness in the years to come. Without going into too much background on Crosby, let's look at what he's accomplished in just 6 seasons playing in the NHL.
- 572 regular season points (in 412 regular season games)
- 2008-09 Stanley Cup Champion
- 2006-07 NHL points leader (120)
- 2009-10 NHL goals leader (51)
- 20007-8 assists per game leader (.91)
- Current active points per game leader (1.31)
- 2006-07 Art Ross, Hart Memorial and Ted Lindsay Award winner
- Youngest NHL captain to win the Stanley Cup
- Youngest NHL player to score 100 points in a season
Did you know................that in Crosby's rookie NHL season, he actually had more penalty minutes (110), than points scored (102)?
Sources: hockey-reference.com and wikipedia.com.