If Mike Bossy played for the Rangers or Blackhawks or Canadiens, you'd here his name a lot more often than you do today. Yeah, he played for a New York team, but not THE New York team. The Islanders were great when Bossy played for them. But can you imagine if the greatest player on the New York Rangers won four Stanley Cups in a row? (The Rangers passed on selecting Mike Bossy in the 1977 NHL draft).
Mike Bossy had a tough time adjusting to the NHL as a rookie in 1977-78. Ha! He only scored 53 goals and had 91 points in 73 games played! Bossy gave an encore the next season, racking up 126 points with 69 goals. Bossy would go on to score over 100 points six more times, with his high water mark coming in 1981-82 when he had 147 points.
Mike Bossy is the All-Time NHL Goals-Per-Game leader with 0.762 career goals-per-game played.
- 4-time Stanley Cup Champion
- 1,126 career points scored (in only 752 games)
- 573 career goals
- 1982 Conn Smythe Trophy winner
- 3-time Lady Byng Trophy winner
- 1978 Calder Trophy winner
- 2-time NHL goals leader (1979 and 1981)
- 1991 Hockey Hall of Fame inductee
- Jersey #22 retired by the New York Islanders
Number 22 in Other Sports
NFL Number 22
MLB Number 22