Have you ever heard of Emlen Tunnell? If not, you'll know of him now. He's the best NFL athlete to have ever worn the jersey number 45, and he is a Pro Football Hall of Famer. Tunnell played two primary positions during his NFL career (punt and kick returner and defensive back - mostly safety). Tunnell played fourteen years in the NFL, between 1948 and 1961, primarily as a New York Giant. He also spent three years at the end of his NFL career with the Green Bay Packers. What did he achieve in his fourteen year Hall of Fame career?
- 9 time Pro Bowler
- 8 time All Pro
- 79 career interceptions
- 1,282 career interception return yards
- 2,217 career punt return yards
- 1949 league leader for INTs returned for TDs (2)
- 1952 league leader for fumbles recoverd (6)
- 100 yard kick return in 1951
- Twice led league in non-offensive TDs (1949 and 1951)
- 1967 Pro Football Hall of Fame Inductee
- 1956 NFL Champion with the New York Giants
- 1961 NFL Champion with the Green Bay Packers
Tunnell was an undrafted free agent out of Iowa.
Did you know......that Tunnell broke his neck at the University of Toledo, before moving on to play at Iowa?