Not only is Doak Walker our pick for the best NFL athlete to ever wear the uniform number 37, he is also our pick for the best professional athlete to ever wear the uniform number 37. Taken int he 1949 NFL draft out of SMU, Doak was primarily a halfback during his six year NFL career for the Detroit Lions, however, he also kicked, punted, threw, and played defense. With that type of versatility it would have been amazing to watch Doak perform at the NFL combine of today.
Some of the highlights from Doak's NFL career:
- 5 time Pro Bowler (1950, 1951, 1953, 1954 and 1955)
- 5 time All Pro (same years as above)
- Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 1986
- Scored winning TD in 1952 NFL title game
- Led NFL in scoring in 1950 and 1955
- Led NFL in Point After Touchdowns in 1951 and 1954 (yes, he was also a kicker)
- 1950 NFL Rookie of the Year
There is a collegiate football award named after Doak Walker, given to the top collegiate running back in the nation.
Did you know.........that Doak won both the Maxwell Award and the Heisman Trophy as a collegiate football player?