Reggie White, "the Minister of Defense," is the best professional athlete to ever wear jersey number 92. Reggie was posthumously enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006, being justly awarded for his stellar NFL career spanning 1985 through 2000. He was known predominantly as a star defensive end with both the Eagles (1985 - 1992,) and the Packers (1993 - 1998) although he also played with the Carolina Panthers in 2000.
Some of Reggie White's NFL accolades:
- Selected to 13 consecutive Pro Bowls (1986-1998)
- 198 career NFL sacks (2nd all-time behind Bruce Smith)
- 21 sacks in 12-game, strike shortened 1987 season (2nd all-time behind Michael Strahan's 22 in 2001)
- Only player ever to be selected to Pro Football Weekly's 1980s and 1990s All-Decade teams (according to packers.com)
- Member of the NFLs 75th anniversary all-time team
- Led the NFL in sacks for two seasons
- Ten or more sacks in nine consecutive seasons
- Double-digit sack numbers in 12 seasons
Reggie's jersey number 92 was retired by the Eagles, Packers and the University of Tennessee in 2005.
Did you know......Reggie White started his Pro Football career in the USFL with the Memphis Showboats?